Thursday, April 27, 2017

I Don't Like Pennies, But Nick Does

Nick would not likely be considered as an example of the upwardly mobile sort. He is a bit frail, has a goatee, his head is shaved-somewhat, he wears black & white low profile Converse and he works at a convenience store. I know this about Nick because I purchased a large cup of House-Blend coffee from him.

What I also learned about Nick is that he is a great compliment to the Kum & Go Convenience Store brand. My purchase was $2.77 for which I gave Nick a $5.00 bill. The coffee was $1.77 and
Nick asked me if I would like to contribute $1.00 to
Habitat for Humanity, which I was glad to do. Nick not only sold me coffee, he sold me on helping others in need.

Kum & Go has one of those point of sale devices that spits your change out into that little chute on the customer side of the counter. My change should have been $2.23. but it wasn't. It was $2.25. The reason for that is Nick had put two cents of his own money into the register so I would not have more annoying pennies. I don't like pennies. This was extremely considerate on Nick's part. Because of Nick,  I would not have to repeatedly reach into the chute to gather my pennies and I would not have more pennies in my pocket. I don't like pennies.

I submit that Nick is actually an aggressively upwardly mobile business man. He is so focused on the customer experience that he puts about $1.00 of his own change into a bowl next to his register every day so he can provide customers some change when needed, or when it lightens the penny load. Nick, apparently likes pennies and even if you don't use Nick's pennies you will get his high energy behavior delivering exceptional customer service.

How simple, yet brilliant is that.

Nick greatly and deliberately improves the customer experience by investing some of his own resources.

Delivering distinguishing and exceptional customer service does not usually require much. By adding just a few figurative pennies to your efforts you can dominate the competition. Great customer service is the competitive advantage and bad customer service is a wildfire that consumes every aspect of the business in it's path. Nick gets it, do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment