Thursday, May 31, 2018

I Am Thinking & I Think

Thinking is underutilized. 

My best thinking is done when I walk around the office as if I am in a daze. The wheels are almost always turning so the dazed-look is well deserved and hard-earned. When, during this process, I come to some conclusion, the dazed look will disappear and I am back to digging and doing. 

I really should do more thinking in an environment where people don't view me as milling around. Maybe I am sending the wrong message because I am not in the figurative ditch, feverishly thinking. But the process of thinking is extremely valuable and productive. When I think I can come to reasonable conclusions (hopefully) and make a decision to either draw a line or get help. Either way, the thinking leads me to some meaningful action and discourages the, ready-fire-aim, knee-jerk reaction.

 A good and very successful friend goes in an hour early, every day, just so he can think!

Thinking is underutilized, "I think" is over utilized.

Here, we teach that there is room for opinions in our business discussions, but not much. What you think is not helpful, what you know is invaluable. 

People really don't care what you think and I am high on that list. People care deeply about what you know supported by what you can prove. Sure, people will be nice and considerate when you espouse your opinions, but they have their limits, so don't waste their time or yours. 

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
— ABRAHAM LINCOLN.




No comments:

Post a Comment