Monday, April 2, 2012

Take a Step

The system has never failed me.

Whenever I am faced with a project that keeps getting bigger the more I think about it, the less inclined I am do to anything about it, because I have made a mental mountain out of a literal mole-hill. When I employ the failsafe system of simply Taking a Step in the direction of the project, everything changes. No longer am I facing a huge matter that keeps getting bigger, now I am facing a manageable portion of the project, and I find that if I keep moving, things get done. Once a piece of the project is complete, I move on to the next square and make additional progress. Even when mistakes are made, they are made and overcome while I am moving in the direction of a satisfactory conclusion.

It is in the "doing" where discoveries are made and those discoveries will likely cause modifications to the steps we are taking, because the piece we are working on proved more or perhaps less challenging and time consuming that previously thought. The good news is that we now know more than we did before we got started and we got started by Taking a Step.

The possibility of not "doing" always exists, especially when we are venturing into territory that we have never been before. While we are fretting over the job that must be done, we build up our justifications for not "doing" even though we are perfectly capable. You will never know what you are capable of accomplishing if you allow the fear of the unknown to stopping you from "Taking a Step".

No comments:

Post a Comment