Thursday, October 7, 2010

Connect Me if I am Wrong

Connect me if I am wrong.

The more commonly used version of this phrase is; "Correct me if I am wrong." But I submit that we don't just need correcting as much as we need connecting. Connecting to the basis of the correction. When we are wrong we need to understand how to make "it" right but we really need to know the foundation for the correction. We need to know why we are wrong and then know how to learn from our mistakes by focusing on facts and not opinion. Therefore it is incumbent on those that are doing the correcting to help those that made the wrong decision, with connecting to the sources that will aid in learning, what needs to be known, so the mistake is not repeated.

Experience is a great teacher and is often used in correcting but experience is invaluable regarding the connecting. I have made many mistakes in my career and I learned from most of them. Primarily the education was acquired during a "correction-meeting". However when I was being correction, what was most often missing, was the information regarding the sources of facts specific to the resolution. What I really needed to know was, how do I connect to the sources, that will give me a factual education, on how to get better so I don't make the same mistake again.

You are going to make wrong choices in your business life and you are going to get corrected. The sooner the correction occurs, the better. When that happens, make sure to get connected to the sources, that will provide you an education that is based in fact. The best way to accomplish that is to ask. Correction and Connection.


No comments:

Post a Comment