Wednesday, September 26, 2018

All I Need To Know

All we need to know.

There was a book published a while back that was filed with simple and profound wisdom. The book's title is; All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten, by Robert Fulghum.

Robert was largely right about many subjects but here is where I am at odds. 

All I really Need to Know, I learned from my parents, mostly my Mother. 

My Father taught me to never fear any task, just get to the doing. 

Mother had a way of teaching that was primarily focused on me (one of six children) because I needed more teaching than others. Call it stubborn, obstinate or disinterested, I was a problem child and Mother's lessons usually had to be repeated several times before I got the message. 

My Mother had a real commitment to my growth and the growth of the other five siblings. Problem was, I took most of her time and energy. She never quit. She would often double-down.

What I learned at home was what I took to school and into life. 

Some of the lessons my Mom taught me: to take the high road, to listen more than I talk, to get up every day and put my left foot in front of my right foot and walk, to be dependable, to use proper language no matter the circumstances, not to drink too much and never smoke, to eat as right as I could and only as much as I need, to love my brothers and sisters, to respect the USA and to stand during the pledge (because not standing was NEVER an option), that the teacher was always right, not to trust everybody only they who truly deserved to be trusted, to save, to clean my room, to get better at anything make sure you are hanging around better people, that expectations should be reasonable but high, that you don't have to settle for less, that just because you grew up somewhat poor you do not have to stay poor, to never stop leaning, to go to Church and to pray, and never leave the house unless I had on clean underwear! 

She always added that if I was in an accident, she would be embarrassed if my underwear were not clean. Still, to this day am I a bit confused as to the logic and importance of that directive. 

The point is that I learned from someone who cared enough to teach, even to the point of pain.  

All I need to learn, I learned from someone else. 

Teach or be taught.


No comments:

Post a Comment